April 14 | 0°C ☁️ | DAY 383 @ 🏡
📖 Life on Mars: Poems by Tracy K. Smith
- I should be done with university in nine days. I should be, but I signed up for a spring term. I will still be graduating in June with a double major in English and Filmmaking, but with COVID still in full swing and my prospects of getting a new job this year getting fewer and fewer with each passing day, I have decided to get a 4 year BA in English (Creative Writing or Screen and Cultural Studies) and a minor in Theatre and Film. This will also allow me to get my GPA up, as I am trying to decide if I want to get my Masters in Cultural Studies or enter into an after-degree program in Education. Both of which require me to have a higher GPA than what I am graduating with.
- I’m getting my three year BA this year because I want the option to get a job. So far we’re paying the bills, but it would sure be nice to put that English/Film degree to use and make some money on the side. It was starting to look like the film industry would be ramping up again and there would be more work than available crew members could handle, but with the COVID variants entering the picture, that is starting to make things look pretty bleak.
- I’m finishing up my creative writing portfolio right now, as well as a podcast research assignment and a research comic. I should be finished all of this in the next few days, and ready to move on to whatever comes my way in early May.
- Part of my creative writing portfolio has the first chapter of a novel idea I’m actually very proud of. If I have no work in July and August, I plan to spend those months finishing it and revising it down to a final draft that can be shopped around to literary agents.
- Speaking of creative writing, I currently have three short stories and four poems out for submissions to literary journals and writing contests. Hopefully one will get published.
- Our bedroom ceiling has been patched up, but I still have to go in and paint it. The sudden blizzard this week has put a hold on that, so I started patching every little crack in the walls I could find. Someday this house will look nice.
- My desk is currently set up as a vlogging/podcasting studio. Since I can’t get work in the field I want right now, I’m trying to take advantage of the whole situation and use it to make my own work. Right now it looks like I’ll be working on a weekly vlog and movie review podcast. I haven’t set up dedicated websites to either, but I probably should.
- Currently I am moving my blog to Patreon for public posting. I’m not certain what I’ll do with my WordPress and Tumblr sites. I have deleted or hidden most older posts. I’m not sure if I should bother revamping them. A lot of the features I want from WP require me to pay more money than it would cost to self-host, and I just don’t feel like going through that hassle right now. Also it’s hard for me to justify spending money on a blog that isn’t making me any money in return. I think I might actually have to pay someone to make me the theme I want, which is a three column header that will post the latest comic, vlog and podcast at the top of the page, and then a blog beneath it.