January 11 | -5°C 🌘| DAY 290 @ 🏡
I’ve got a lot to say, but I only feel like writing one post today, so I’m just going to dump it all off here. Someday I’ll start posting daily, so there won’t be as many as these status posts, and more that stick to one topic. Until then, here is the aforementioned brain dump:
- Intermittent Fasting: I’m one week in and only messed up a couple of times. Funny thing I noticed is that my insomnia (I’m ready to fall asleep by 10pm, and am up right at 8am the next day) and my acid reflux are not issues on the nights I successfully do the intermittent fasting. I was going to do this for only a month, but if it means I can get a full night of sleep, I’ll keep it up indefinitely.
- Bullet Journaling: So far so good. I’m 11 days in and it’s been helpful tracking my appointments, classes and homework. I even worked in habit tracking. Debating if I should track my Fitbit steps. Feels like I’m overdoing it with the health tracking, but I have also been tracking my weight to see if the Intermittent Fasting is having an effect on that, so I may keep the weight tracking, but the rest can probably be omitted. I started tracking my meals as well, which I’m happy I started because the other day I ate something that really disagreed with me, and being able to track the trigger down was very helpful. Sushi is off the menu for the foreseeable future.
- For fun I’ve been trying to get the kid to draw with me. The other day I told her that we should both try drawing the family cat. She is getting much better at drawing. She didn’t like her drawing as a cat, and decided it was going to be a hamster instead. I was going to post her drawing here, but she wrote her name all over it, and we have a strict rule that we don’t put her name on the internet until she’s old enough to understand the consequences of doing so. Maybe next time.
- My basement project is going on the back burner for a few months. I figured I’d have the time to do it between classes, but my workload just quadrupled this term. That will have to take priority over a basement makeover, but I will have to do some work on my home office to make better use of the space. I have four classes, which comes down to just shy of 15 hours a week that I am on Zoom calls, and then at least another 15 a week that I am doing homework and other school related projects. Plus, I spend roughly an additional 15 hours a week acting as a kindergarten teacher to my daughter. I spend a lot of time in that room, so I need to make it more functional than it currently is. I’m just not sure how.
- My wife’s birthday was this past weekend. We celebrated with gourmet cinnamon buns instead of birthday cake. I think it was the right decision.
- I haven’t been going for as many walks as I want to be lately, but I have been able to get out a couple times over the weekend. I can’t remember the last time the weather has been this nice in January.
- Speaking of walks, my phone died on me twice yesterday while I was out. Not the worst thing in the world, but it’s not great to not have a reliable line of communication in the event of emergency. So I had to buy a new phone. I’ve been researching it for a while, and it is the best option for me right now. Sadly, due to me being unemployed, it will not be an iPhone. More on that in the coming days.
- I had to start ANOTHER notebook today. My Creative Writing class requires I have a journal dedicated to just creative writing. Luckily I have an unopened Moleskine kicking around. I really don’t like Moleskine notebooks, but this gave me an excuse to finally use it. Hopefully it holds up as well as my collection of Leuchtturm1917 journals.
- I spent the weekend reading over a couple books from the required reading list from my Canadian Comics class. I like them. I haven’t really read any alternative comics before, which is shocking for me. After reading a couple, I think my webcomics didn’t really pan out in the past because I should have been doing alternative comics instead. I wanted to tell stories, not just a gag a day in a three panel strip. Since I’m reworking my film project to be a motion comic I may attempt this. I have a couple school projects this year that will allow me to make a comic instead of doing an essay or research paper. It’ll be a good way to test the waters and see if alt-comics are worth my time after graduation. I’m already a poor artist, I may as well embrace the lifestyle.